Housekeeping & Maintenance (PT)
Location: Boonshoft Museum of Discovery
Work Hours: 24 hours per week (some weekend hours required)
Reports To: Director, Facilities
Performs custodial work in building interior including building offices, lounges, office areas, classrooms, restrooms, corridors, elevators, food court and stairways. Maintains and repairs physical structures of buildings and maintains grounds as requested. Typical tasks performed include a combination of the following:
Responsibilities and Essential Duties:
- Sweeps, vacuums, mops, scrubs, waxes and polishes floors and woodwork using industrial vacuum cleaners and scrubbing and buffing machines.
- Sometimes using ladders, dusts and polishes light fixtures.
- Moves cabinets, boxes, furniture, crates and equipment to clean areas.
- May remove stains from such surfaces as rugs, walls, and floors using chemicals and cleaning solutions.
- Transports trash and waste to disposal area.
- Washes windows, door panels, and sills.
- Clean Education area including emptying trash, sweep and mop floors as needed.
- Clean and sanitize water fountains.
- Scrubs toilets, urinals and sinks.
- Replenishes bathroom supplies.
- Receives written work orders or verbal instructions from supervisor.
- Mows grass, trim weeds and plows gardens on organization's property.
- Operates snow/ice removal equipment to maintain parking lots and sidewalks.
- Maintain vehicles and grounds equipment (tractors and lawn mowers, weed trimmers, garden tools, etc.), maintain and fill in maintenance schedules as needed.
- Empties trash cans and consolidates trash for weekly pickup.
- Paints interior and exterior walls and trim.
- Operates forklift to move heavy items.
- Cuts down and removes trees, occasionally and with assistance.
- Inventory supplies, equipment and tools, order materials as needed.
- Maintains and repairs building involving minor plumbing and electrical systems, includes replacing worn or defective parts such as switches, fuses and light bulbs.
- Minor carpentry, plumbing, electrical work and attend to repair emergencies as needed (water leaks, etc.)
- Monitors fire extinguishers and emergency drills.
- Monitor schedules for Sonitrol (security), Simplex (fire), city fire and other inspections, HVAC system, roofing inspections, etc.
- Responsible for set up and breakdown of tables, chairs, pipe and drape, trash cans, etc. for institutional events.
- Supervise Community Service Program, using court ordered “volunteers” to clean museum, mow, weed and trim around the facility.
- Assists other departments with moving furniture and unloading and storing supplies.
- Back-up housekeeping and facilities manager as needed.
Helpful Attributes: An outstanding attitude of customer service, professionalism and teamwork; able to follow instructions and respond to management direction; reliable and responsible traits; commit to working extra hours if necessary. Good work ethic, attendance and punctuality a must.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and work as a team. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience: High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or three to to six months related experience and/or training; Knowledge of building maintenance, plumbing, machinery, electrical, HVAC.
Essential Physical Functions: This is a physically demanding job. The employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to climb or balance. The employee must regularly life and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Work Environment / Hazards: Works in a busy - fast paced department, must be aware of relevant dangers.
Interested candidates should forward an application or resume and salary requirements to:
The Dayton Society of Natural History
Manager, Human Resources
2600 DeWeese Parkway, Dayton, OH 45414
- OR -
The Dayton Society of Natural History is an Equal Opportunity Employer.